Contemplative meditation exercise for Christians – with an Icon
Icon is like a door.
In silence you will open the door of a deeper meaning to your life.
1. Choose and icon that moves you. You may search for an image on the internet.
2. Decide to spend 20 minutes every day to stay still in front of the icon.
3. Choose a time of the day which suits you (a quiet time, not too late at night when you may fall asleep).
4. Choose the same place to meditate.
5. At the beginning of each meditation ask the Holy Spirit to join you.
6. Stay faithful to this exercise.
In impossible situations (when you feel torn) – ”Jesus the Vine (Tree of Life)” icon
In suicidal thoughts – “Jesus and the Samaritan Woman (Water of Life)” icon
In depression and loss – “Our Lady of Sorrow” icon, “Jesus and the Samaritan Woman (Water of Life)” icon
In anxieties – “The Blessed Silence” icon
In being unable to undertake a role in your family (due to past hurts) – “The holy family” icon, “Jesus and the Samaritan Woman (Water of Life)” icon
The practice of Welcoming Prayer video (learning to stay in a present moment)